I am sure most people will remember last weekend as the weekend when the 2012 London Olympics started. For me, it will always be the weekend Cossie arrived.
She was very excited to arrive at her new home in Oxford Falls on Saturday morning after a short 20 minute ride in the horse trailer. She was prancing with her head high, whinnying, sniffing her new friends, squealing and kicking. It did not go unnoticed to anyone that another mare had arrived.
She has settled in ok since Saturday and calmed down somewhat, but she seems very attached to people. Horses don't seem to do it for her, if there are no people around she feels lonely even if she has a horse-mate right across the fence. She was following me around the yard like a dog all weekend, refusing to leave me any space just in case I would disappear. I could barely get the wheel barrel in and out of her stable without her in it.
On Sunday I decided to try a little ride in the arena. Cossie was still a bit unsettled, so I decided to lunge her in the round-yard for a little bit to assess her mood before venturing to get on her. This was probably a wise choice - she went absolutely bonkers! Never have I seen a horse buck so vigorously at such speed. And Cossie is quite large enough with her feet on the ground, so having all four of her hoofs sailing past your head is a rather unsettling experience. I cannot say that I felt all that confident about getting in the saddle, but I decided to go for it after having led her around the arena for a couple of minutes. She behaved reasonably well and did not launch me into space. I did however chicken out a bit and stuck with a safe walk, saving trot and canter for another day.
Cossie has most definitely arrived.
1 comment:
Hälsa Cossie från Moskosel.
/pappa
Post a Comment